Friday, December 18, 2009

New Year's Resolutions in February?

Every year since I started teaching Pilates reform classes ten years ago, I've devoted the last week of December to making New Year's resolutions. To some of my friends and colleagues, this tradition makes no sense."Why set goals just because every one else is doing so?"
    Somebody asked. "It betrays a desperate lack of imagination.""People who make New Year's resolutions don't follow them,"
Someone else pointed out. "It's better not to make commitments In the first place."Isn’t  it just a burden involved in making new promises when you are already busy keeping the promises you've made in the past?

    Instead of thinking like this, think of resolutions as good habits that you are trying to cultivate. Don't add a good one without dropping an old one. Set realistic goals this year.Goal-setting works. In study after study, productivity experts find that people who set goals achieve more than those who don't. 

    My own life dramatically changed when I began writing down and prioritizing my goals. And that's true for every one of my friends and clients who have done the same.
     In the beginning, I had mixed success. Each year, I'd refine My system a little bit and each year, I managed to accomplish more. In the past two years, I have accomplished at least 90% of what I set out To do - and there's no reason you can't do it too.

I suggest that you establish one significant goal for the year

 - Make your goal specific. If possible, make it quantifiable.

- Make your goal realistic.

- Break it down into pieces.

- Establish a time line.

- Allow room for setbacks and distractions.

- Identify your support team.

- Establish a way to reward yourself at the end and on the way.

    Why I am I writing about New Years Resolution's in February? Because we are all human and we let pain stop us from achieving our goals and tell ourselves we don’t have the time to commit to ourselves to get in better shape etc.
    Well it’s February how are you doing so far this year? Are you stretching daily? Strengthening your core?  

It’s never too late to start any type of exercise program that makes you feel better and healthier.
Go for it and don't let anything hold you back!

No comments:

Post a Comment